Monday, August 29, 2011

Baby Steps

So I had a full week to wrap my head around my need to make some changes, to actually start TRYING to lose weight again, since pregnancy hormones have left the building and are no longer doing all the work for me. And though I did take some time to think about the changes I need to make... I didn't actually make any of those changes, and so I was up another pound when I weighed in yesterday.

Imagine that. Do nothing, and not lose weight. Revolutionary thought.

So this week I've decided to actually start doing something about losing weight. But instead of trying to go all gung-ho all at once, I'm going to concentrate on two small things. Two baby steps towards a healthier me.

Baby step toward health. (Thank you, Bob!)

1. I am going to drink at least 64 ozs of water a day. This will probably be hard for me, because when I am thirsty I want diet coke or tea, not water... but I've always heard/read/been told by those who know that drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body. So I'm going to start there. Water. Lots and lots of water.

2. I am going to NOT snack mindlessly at night. That is my biggest temptation to binge, that time after the boys are in bed and I am able to sit down for a minute and watch some TV or read a book. Suddenly, I am so hungry, and no matter what I eat, nothing seems to satisfy. Hmmm... I think that's because I'm not really hungry, I just want to unwind and snack at the end of the day. So my goal here is to allow myself ONE small snack, and then to quit eating. I can have a fudge bar OR a small bag of 94% fat-free popcorn OR some crackers and cheese OR a graham cracker and milk... but not all of them and more. One snack. And you better believe I'm going to savor it!

So those are my baby step goals for the next week. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go fill up my water bottle and start drinking!

Baby steps to the fridge.
Baby steps to get the ice.
Baby steps to drink the water.

(I seriously love that movie and need to watch it again soon!)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! We are doing something similar here; my husband and I joined the free site My Fitness Pal (dot com) and have been keeping track of our calories and exercise there. We've both lost over 5 lbs. Then we quit tracking our calories for a few weeks. But, this week we're back! My goal for this week is to record my food and exercise twice. I hope you are working toward your goals this week, too!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete